ELK Elasticsearch Review

Provides enterprise landscape support for different areas of the company

What is our primary use case?

In my project, Elasticsearch is used to query terms for search and to provide data boards for our project team.

How has it helped my organization?

We have some important IT systems which provide support for our business processes. Money is a big issue. If something happens to the IT systems, we lose some money.

We built Elasticsearch solutions to help us to search more quickly. After that, we can calculate how much money we can save by implementing Elasticsearch as a solution.

What is most valuable?

We had many reasons to implement Elasticsearch for search term solutions. Elasticsearch products provide enterprise landscape support for different areas of the company.

What needs improvement?

Elasticsearch is useful for different business processes, but there are some problems. We discuss these problems with the vendor and with our in-house team. We see the need for some improvements with Elasticsearch.

We would like the Elasticsearch package to include training lessons for our staff.

Elasticsearch is stable. We have a normal relationship with the vendor and we have enough support.

Elasticsearch is very scalable. This was one of the most important points of our decision. We use Elasticsearch with about 1000 users. Now have two sets of solutions:

• One set works with the dashboard from the project team's site.
  • A second set works with the enterprise department involved with two roles.

As for the staff, we have an infrastructure team dedicated to Search. I can't answer quickly how many people we use for that. For maintenance, we employ about three to five experts.

We are planning to increase our Elasticsearch usage. We have the plan because some Elasticsearch systems integrate with other products and we must grow.

If we discuss technical support from the vendor, it's the first line of support and we don't need very quick response times in the first support line.

If we discuss the second line of support, it must be conducted very quickly. About technical support from the vendor, it's not fast. It's normal.

I previously provided some activities with Splunk solutions. My colleague in another department also used Splunk.

We did not have difficult trouble installing and configuring Elasticsearch. The setup is straightforward.

The implementation depends on what part of the solution. In some areas and for some Elasticsearch installation tasks, we wanted third-party consultation support.

We don't integrate Elasticsearch on enough systems to complete the estimate of ROI.

For the next project, we might buy the license, but we don't use it now. I don't know exactly what the license fee for Elasticsearch is currently.

This is a difficult question because we had a specific reason for choosing Elasticsearch. Different solutions provide different benefits. We compare these and choose one solution over another.

Overall, it depends on the manufacturers. We compared Elasticsearch with other products like Riverbed, for example.

What other advice do I have?

In general, we have many advantages from the features of Elasticsearch, but there are questions mostly about money, not about technical features, that are of concern.

I would rate Elasticsearch eight/nine out of ten. We have enough possibilities and features with Elasticsearch for our business requirements.