ELK Elasticsearch Review

Enables me to share dashboards with different people with different levels of access

What is our primary use case?

I'm a data scientist and we're a customer of ELK. We use the solution for multiple projects, mainly based around customer analytics.

What is most valuable?

I value the feature that allows me to share dashboards with different people with different levels of access. They can perform their own queries, like adjusting the time filter or hitting some other filters. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

In terms of product improvement, ratio aggregation is not supported in this solution. I can do aggregations, but taking a ratio of two metrics is not supported. That's a common use case that I have come across. And if I want to do bulk coding then that's something that is not very convenient. I would like those things to be included in the next version.

I've been using this solution for three years.

Occasionally when you're handling large data you get some out of memory exceptions from time to time. It happens when you're doing pairing. Sometimes a few shots will fail. These are all typically when you're doing things on cloud on a large scale they tend happen.

It's a scalable solution. For now, we have about 10 users and we plan to increase that number. We use it regularly.

I haven't needed to contact technical support. The forums are pretty good and most of the things that I need to ask are already answered so no need for support. The documentation and forums were enough.

I haven't used other solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward, it took about an hour. I did the setup myself. Some others also did it themselves and we had developers who put it up in the cloud for the others.

We are currently using the Open Source version, so we didn't need to offset any licensing. For now, it's just the cost of maintaining the server.

Our tech team did the research and I don't know if there were other options considered.

What other advice do I have?

You can test the product for your use case on their user free trial, they offer a seven or 14-day free trial, You can put it up on cloud and just push your data to check if your use cases are being handled or not. It's a quick test of the waters.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)