ELK Elasticsearch Review

Easily customizable dashboard and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

In terms of use case, we combine a lot of things with Elastic. It's two platforms, so with Elasticsearch, we're using the Beats, Kibana, and Suricata. It's a query engine and we use the information from our sensors. It gets ingested into that and we use the resources to get everything put on our dashboards. If something is detected, alerts come up right away and it's very, very accurate. The more ingest it receives, the better we can respond to threats. It's not just Elastic or Logstash, it's a combination of those and other tools that we would apply towards our threat detection and prevention. We have a partnership with ELK.

What is most valuable?

The company provides excellent technical support and wonderful engineers, even their sales engineers are great. The dashboard is a valuable feature - it's awesome and very customizable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more open source tools and testing as well as a signature analysis in the solution. I think that a lot of times when we go into a corporate environment where it becomes more add on features or an additional service fee, it typically draws away from that product.

I think it would be cool if they could provide a couple of licenses that would be test bed licenses so that engineers and people with have their hands on the keyboard could test any new development.

I've been using this solution for three or four years.

It is a very scalable soluton. It is very easy and I would recommend it to anyone. In terms of users it's all tiered. Most things are from tier zero at egress point of any major large-scale network all the way down to the customer. We have roughly 200 users. And those would include analysts and real time threat analysts.

I'm very satisfied with the technical support and would rate it highly. Sometimes there are issues because we are overseas and there is a six hour time difference which creates a lag. It's hard to get around that but they're very responsive.

We had issues when we first did the initial setup, because our resources were limited because it was a test that it was a proof of concept. It meant the initial setup was somewhat resource intensive. The data NGS itself was an issue when we were trying to filter and pull that information. Again, a signature analysis would have been helpful here.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone considering implementing this solution, I would say take a good hard look at your own infrastructure resources and scalability as you have to future proof everything. Whether it's scale or increase in customers building up through your actual hardware and your network infrastructure. You need to know it's capable of performing the tasks needed, because sometimes you outgrow yourself. So, I would say look at your resources and how it can be scaled.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More ELK Elasticsearch reviews from users