ELK Logstash Review

A flexible product that can be used in a number of scenarios, but its knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by

What is our primary use case?

It is for our own infrastructure. We are trying to do ELK Stack for everything. We are trying to build our own monitoring solution. For now, we are using it as an alerting solution, and SIEM is going to be our destination.

What is most valuable?

Its flexibility is most valuable. We can have a number of scenarios, and we can get logs from anything. If we know how to use Logstash, we can tweak it in many ways. This makes the logging search on Elastic very easy.

With Kibana, we can make very beautiful dashboards the way we wanted. It makes sense for the business.

What needs improvement?

We are paying dearly for the guy who is working on the ELK Stack. That knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by. For difficulty and availability of resources, I would rate it a five out of 10.

We don't have any scalability problems as of now. We have less than 2,000 devices.

We have a contractor who is trying to develop and deploy the ELK Stack for us. He has requested a couple of servers, and we have given those to him. He asked for more RAM and storage for the service, and he will take time developing the custom Logstash scripts that we have asked for.

I find it better than Splunk in terms of cost-effectiveness. For cost-effectiveness, I would rate it a nine out of 10.

What other advice do I have?

It is complex, but you just need to have patience and personnel to develop it. Unless you explore a technology, you won't know what are the pros and cons. I have not seen any cons as of now, but it has miles to go in terms of being equal to Splunk. It is a community-driven technology. So, it will get there.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More ELK Logstash reviews from users
...who compared it with Graylog
Learn what your peers think about ELK Logstash. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.