ELK Logstash Review

Simplifies process of bug identification and tracking using application log files

What is our primary use case?

I was using this product up until recently when I changed companies, but I have been asked to implement logging in my new role and this is one of the options that I am considering.

It was used in conjunction with Kibana to examine our logs and perform debugging. When a user complained about misbehavior in an application, we would research the logs, test, and try to find out where the bug is.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is Discover. I have not used all of the features, so I can't say that this will be best for everyone.

What needs improvement?

I would like the process of retrieving archived data and viewing it in Kibana to be simplified.

We ran into trouble once or twice regarding problems with timestamps that came about because of issues with memory. Consequently, the correct data was not logged and it had to be done again.

I used this product for about eight months, up until about two months ago.

We were using this solution once or twice every couple of weeks when we encountered a bug. I found that it was stable.

I have not tested scalability. In my previous company, there were 20 people on the team, but only the backend developers were using ELK Logstash. This was perhaps 10 users.

We hosted this solution ourselves, so there was no technical support.

We have used Graylog in the past, but it was self-hosted and the experience wasn't great.

I did not do the initial setup myself.

My colleague deployed this solution for me.

This is an open-source product, so there are no costs.

What other advice do I have?

When my colleague set up this application, it was configured such that every seven days, the data is archived into long-term storage. When I needed something from the archived logs, it was easy to retrieve and I could look through them again. This is something that I would suggest doing.

My suggestion for anybody who is implementing ELK Logstash is to make sure that the entire team knows how to use it. If only one person knows it and takes care of it, then it is not a very productive experience. On the other hand, if everybody is familiar with it, the experience will be much better.

This is definitely a product that I recommend using.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More ELK Logstash reviews from users