EMC Atmos [EOL] Review

Flexible in deployment, scalable, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. I have sold this solution and I have also used it myself.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the flexibility of deployment. There are different ways that this solution can be deployed. It can be on-premises, entirely cloud-based, or a hybrid model. Currently, the trend in India is a hybrid approach. Since people are using tools from different public cloud companies, we are helping customers to maintain integration between cloud and on-premises. Furthermore, you can take the appliance or you can just take the software for a virtual environment.

This solution uses an object architecture, which means that we can manage a few terabytes of information and billions of objects in different locations through a single system. This is one of the most important things that we get from this product.

The platform has support for traditional technologies such as NFS but it also supports newer technologies on the market.

What needs improvement?

Our clients need the flexibility to easily move from Atmos to AWS and GCP and then back from GCP to AWS to Atmos. That is the requirement for today's times. They have to be able to move anything anywhere and chose how they want to do it. Full integration and interoperability with both AWS and GCP are what will help for applications such as data mining products.

I have been working with Dell EMC products for the last ten years.

This is a stable solution and I haven't had any problems.

This is a scalable solution that can handle petabytes of information and millions of stored objects at multiple locations.

This is a solution for large companies. Medium-sized and small organizations are not purchasing Atmos right now.

I have not personally dealt with Dell EMC support but our in-house team contacts them when it is required. EMC support is good. They also have a direct support system, where an end-user can get support directly from EMC.

The implementation was done by Dell EMC for this product. They took care of everything.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is that the cloud era has started, so all of the big companies have starting moving things to public clouds. However, it is important to remember that you cannot keep everything on a public cloud, so you should consider an on-premises solution as well. EMC Atmos gives you the ability to implement a private cloud, which will really help you to keep applications such as an ERP private and secure.

Hybrid Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Dropbox, Google and others in Cloud Storage. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.