EMC Avamar Review

​Source based deduplication is the most attractive feature as it drastically reduces the backup window​.

What is most valuable?

Source based deduplication is the most attractive feature as it drastically reduces the backup window.

How has it helped my organization?

I've helped several organizations reduce the backup window and they could spend time on optimizing other bits of IT infra.

What needs improvement?

Desktop-laptop backups and backup over the WAN needs lot of improvisation. For DTLT there must be a provision to push agents from the management console. Users must be able to browse data set of what to backup behind a WAN IP / firewall.

3 years.

With older OS versions like Microsoft 2003, there were a few issues. However, they have clearly mentioned that it is not supported.

Adding new nodes is an extremely difficult task. Took me nearly 28 hours for node addition and data rebalance.

Eight out of 10, when I used to work. However, after Dell acquisition, I have no clue.

Ability to manage both DTLT and server backup using the same console, and reduced backup window and data footprint, were the major reasons for my customers to change.

Initialization and management is very simple. Its a GUI based installation with clearly defined steps.

It is very expensive. It's a trust based licensing. So that's an ethical challenge.

What other advice do I have?

Have your inventory ready and priorities set. Make sure initial backup is taken during off-production hours as the solution works only on LAN.

1 visitor found this review helpful