EMC Avamar Review

Good for backups and is easy to troubleshoot

What is our primary use case?

Data backup is our primary usage of the solution.

What is most valuable?

I am impressed by the ease of troubleshooting due to the internal database. You can get a lot of information from the backup jobs and that is very useful. For example, the program has a very nice importer called Clientele Activity.

Sometimes when you run backups for products, you will get the information about the backups - some successful some unsuccessful. You also often get information about some clients who don't run any data backups. So from a troubleshooting point of view, it offers valuable information that you can work on.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitations on the backups and the databases so I think that needs a little improvement. The client caches and deduplication system have a few problems.

I've been using EMC Avamar for 18 years now.

The solution is stable as long as you are very careful when you shut down and start up. If you will do everything according to the rules, everything will be okay. But if you make a mistake or shut down the wrong way, or install something the wrong way, you will have some problems. The system is a little sensitive about things that are not done correctly. If you follow the rules, the system will pay you very well. If you do not follow the rules, you will have some troubles.

The program has something called RAIN, and RAIN is the head of the systems, that hosts computers that work together. This RAIN has some limitations on the number of nodes you can put it together to make something like the cloud computer for which something can be seen as a great computer. The second thing is that Avamar has many internal things checking the consistency of the data.

And from this point of view, you sometimes get some mutations on the performance miles and the composite. You can overcome this by using Data Domain. If you add the Data Domain to the system, then you'll see stuff that can be seen as a kind of management system by Avamar, stored back in the Data Domain. It's a beautiful component.

Because I am the inspector at our company I simply call my global instructor or another linked instructor if I need something checked. So I've never used the technical team.

We used Omniverge for some time, but at that time the cost became too high so we switched to Avamar. If you look at the backup and database of Avamar, it stands out above the rest.

The initial setup was complex and it was very hard to implement that in Avamar itself because there were about 500 pages you had to go through. It was a nightmare. It was 18 years ago so it will probably be easier now. I did the deployment myself but I can't remember how long that took.

What other advice do I have?

Before you start using this program, you must know that you can't do everything with Avamar. There are some limitations like the size of the database.

One lesson I've learned from working with Avamar is that you must follow the rules. Often people do not follow the rules for different products. Some products are very forgiving and you don't need to strictly follow the rules, but with Avamar, you have to follow the rules. You have to read the manual, you have to really know what you are doing, especially when you do the first implementation.

The product is good for backups but if you look at the analytics, I would like to say that there is a possibility to improve the caches or to do something with the application process on the clients' side, and back-ups for the bigger objects like the databases of the processing systems.

I rate this product 8.5. It could be nine, but it has a few limitations.