EMC Avamar Review

Easy to deploy and has good capabilities but the technical support needs to improve

What is our primary use case?

We recently stopped using this solution but it was being used to back up our servers and client machines.

We were using an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

It was very simple to deploy the solution to the client that wanted to backup.

What needs improvement?

It was challenging to back up our Exchange database, which is one of the reasons we did not continue using this solution. It was very tough, and a case of having to contact the Microsoft Partner Network.

Technical support needs to be improved.

We could not integrate this solution with our tape backup.

We had been using this solution for between one and two years.

This is a stable product.

We had about one hundred users on the platform.

I would not rate technical support high for this solution. We had a problem and nobody could be specific about the issue, or what it is that we needed to do in order to resolve it.

Technical support could not resolve the issue that we had in terms of integrating with tape.

We were not able to back up the Exchange database with this solution. In the end, we had to discontinue using it. We switched to EMC Data Domain, and the cost was one of the factors that influenced our decision.

Our in-house team implemented this solution, although I was not part of the process so I do not know the details.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. It is a good product. It's stable, it is easy to deploy, and the visibility of the backup and restore is good.

If I had my way then we would be using this solution for other applications and we would be running them side-by-side as a comparison.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.