Emc logo

EMC ControlCenter Review
EMC ViPR SRM vs. NetApp OnCommand Insight vs. EMC Control Center

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features of either of the SRM tools, were the reporting and real-time ability to show management that additional storage was required or in regards to who was using what storage and bandwidth.

All the attributes of the tool had real importance, when you needed time to create some reports for the management and to email those reports on a regular basis.

Room for Improvement:

By the time they rolled out its predecessor SMC and Unisphere, the old ECC was trying to do too much within a large enterprise environment.

We were unhappy as no one from EMC heard our plea for assistance and it became expensive in terms of the license and the amount of resources it took.

Simply put, in the past the vendor support model was not broad enough to ensure every aspect of the ECC product worked efficiently.

After a few years of waiting for EMC to apply the fixes we wanted they were finally all addressed.

Stability Issues:

The stability of the products was very similar as well.

Scalability Issues:

The scalability of both the products was pretty even.

The technical support was very good for both the NetApp OCI and the EMC ViPR.

Previous Solutions:

It is at this time that we switched to NetApp's OCI. It was somewhat reasonably priced and easy to install with VMs, instead of all the physical hosts that EMC wanted at that time.

We were somewhat happy with OCI and it was less costly.

Initial Setup:

The ease of installation looked to be the same.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing:

The price was also about the same.

Other Solutions Considered:

Then I changed companies and we started looking at EMC's ViPR SRM. Upon examination, it looked very much under the covers like the NetApp OCI solution.

Other Advice:

I am now with yet another company and they have purchased EMC ViPR SRM. I think I will be happy with it, provided that EMC listens to its customers and fixes issues, as it has grown-up.

Early on in history, the EMC Control Center was a very powerful tool and had many robust parts/pieces to it.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About EMC ControlCenter?

Our experts can help. 233,815 professionals have used our research on 5,900 solutions.