EMC Data Domain Review
The Deduplication and Compression are the most valuable. The processing capabilities (version DD670) could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

The Data Domain serves as our primary backup device used with Veeam.  It is used for all service backups and restores.

How has it helped my organization?

This allows our organization to send more data to this device compared to others. It also allows us a fast recovery of files or Virtual Machines if needed being on-premise.

What is most valuable?

I would rate it at 5/5 as the deduplication and compression of the device for backups is outstanding. We have about 55TB total space on the Data Domain which we send Veeam backups to and we have sent over 200TB to the array.

The Deduplication and Compression are the most valuable as it allows us to back up allot more data to the device knowing it will compress it well.

What needs improvement?

The processing capabilities I believe could be improved, however, we have an older unit DD670 and newer units may have already improved upon this.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues encountered as we added a second shelf of disks without bringing the head unit down.

Customer service for this unit is top notch and they are fast to get back to you with a Support issue.

Technical Support is also top notch and are quick to respond to queries or tickets.

I was not involved in the initial setup of the array.

It was implemented through a vendor as well as in-house personnel.

It has been very good especially with the expansion shelf added.

What other advice do I have?

Review the newer versions of the device and evaluate them if possible. You will get great benefit for backups.

1 visitor found this review helpful