EMC Data Domain Review

Good deduplication and compression of storage

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is inline deduplication.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good storage. Also, deduplication and completion are the best features, in my opinion.

What needs improvement?

The pricing should be adjusted. Customers continuously talk about the price. They know it is a good solution and they really need the type of storage the solution offers, but it costs somewhere around $100,000 and up for enterprises. It's not cheap, but it's very important for data vendors. My customers are banks and petroleum sectors, so they need the backup and archiving systems. They can't leave a data center without it, even if the cost is high.

I've been selling the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable. My customers have been very pleased with the solution so far.

The solution can scale up to one petabyte right now. It's very good for enterprise-level organizations.

I think this level of scale is still only for cloud providers. It's not for every customer. If I am a cloud provider or internet service provider, I can use it, as my scale is very, very, large. With any other company, you will not need more than 200 kilobytes.

The level of technical support depends on your SLA. You have, for example, next business day, full support, full support plus, full support in four hours, onsite service, etc.

EMC is under the Dell technologies portfolio. You've got one of the best technical support teams looking out for you.

Pricing is related to size. A lower range solution might be about $33,000. My customers use higher range versions with a price of around $100,000. That's the price for both the hardware and the software.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the solution as a technical case professional. I'm selling it to my customers.

I sell the on-premises deployment model.

It's the best solution for deduplication and compression of storage, but the pricing is a little high.

The solution works with any backup software. You might use it as a standalone or use it with VM, or solutions like Symantec, CMC software, etc.

For those considering implementing the solution, I would say that they need to know their data gross and they need to allow for architecting. They need an understanding of their current backup situation and what they will need. They will need to remember to back up every day if their data is very, very important.

When you are buying a backup solution, the Dell EMC team has an architecture team. They can be used to study the environment, so they can advise on what you need. A new user won't have to worry about it. Dell EMC will take care of everything.

Also, a user will still need to do data protection. They need to buy security devices for their environment. They should make a backup outside of their environment and make sure the backup is not connected to any internet connection to avoid hacking.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful