EMC Elastic Cloud Storage Review
The most valuable features are the S3 protocol implementation and the integration with other DELL products. It would be helpful if it supported solutions of other vendors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the S3 protocol implementation and the integration with other DELL EMC products, like ISILON. The ISILON integration works fine and will help the customers to grow more efficiently.

How has it helped my organization?

The deployment of additional capacity to data center infrastructure is easier than doing it on different ISILON solutions by one customer. There are customers who use more than one ISILON solution but want to increase their capacity by adding capacity as simple as possible. So ENC ECS can be a solution.

What needs improvement?

My understanding of object storage is that that object storage is a kind of ecosystem you can build in a data center. So for EMC ECS it will be a benefit to cooperate with a lot of vendor solutions in different areas: backup/recovery, content management, file sync and share solutions; file services gateways. It would be helpful that EMC ECS will support solutions of other vendors.

I myself only have experience in testing the solution and not using it in production. I tested the solutions over the last three months for nearly five or six days.

There were no problems with stability. I didn’t have the opportunity to test the solutions in the way that we have problems. So it was quite stable in our environment.

My opinion is that scalability can be done smarter. Having some capacity solutions as the S10/S30 module like HDS HCP has would be more interesting.

I have no experience with the support. So I don’t want to rate it.

I have some experience with HDS HCP and right now I prefer using this because of complementing solutions (HCP Anywhere version 3, HDI). In my opinion, HDS in Germany will have a lead over the other vendors (DELL EMC, NetApp, IBM, HPE).

As far as I can remember, setup was straightforward referring to scalability.

It would be nice if all vendors would have licenses on “a pay per use” basis. This would make the use, or better say the interest, of buying this storage much more simple.

There is always the comparison with file solutions. Customers and sales people feel good and familiar with these solutions which will work fine for the majority of requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at different use cases you are willing to fullfill.
Have a close look to the protocol and ask for the support organisation.
Talk to your network and security people prior to install or implement actions.