EMC NetWorker Review

With the integration with Data Domain Boost, we are significantly saving backup space. However, backups of VMs could be improved.

Valuable Features

• Support for various operating systems, we use, AIX, Solaris, Linux, VMware, and Windows
  • Excellent deduplication with Data Domain Boost
  • A good user interface, so we can, from a single console, manage the entire backup infrastructure

Improvements to My Organization

We are using a single product, with the same licenses, to backup Oracle servers, SQL Servers, Exchange, and our virtual environment. It also allows us to clone the backups to a disaster recovery site. With the integration with Data Domain Boost we are significantly saving backup space.

Room for Improvement

I think, first of all, the part that relates to backup virtual machines. I've seen better and faster solutions, for example: Veeam.

Use of Solution

We've used NetWorker for about ten years. We are primarily using NetWorker to backup our core servers with Solaris. For the last three years, we use Networker to backup the entire infrastructure.

We're also using the NetWorker Module for Microsoft v8.2.1.8, and the NetWorker VMware Protection v1.1.1.50.

No issues encountered.

We had no problems with stability.

We had no problems with scalability. We have two data centers with different infrastructure.

I have worked with local EMC partners, I have had a positive experience.

I did not use technical support for NetWorker, but I have used it for some other EMC products and I think they were a little slow. 7/10.

Initial setup was straightforward. The documentation is good.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Other Advice

It is a good product with some problems backing up virtual machines (slow restore). We use NetWorker Capacity Licensing Model. Estimating the backup environment's capacity is, for me, very complex, and I think not even clear.