EMC NetWorker Review

The best feature is the DR replication for us. But, the implementation was difficult.

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is a mixed and match backups, which include my file server, the Linux server as well as a the SQLs. As of now, we won't have that much of a challenge. But, sometimes it was required to make some manual intervention for any additional things. With Networker, we are having DD 25 MB as a back up solution. In addition, we are keeping the backup. So, currently it is working.

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, we used the Veritas backup solution. Before, we had a lot of manual steps. Now, with Networker, we do not have those steps.

What is most valuable?

Currently, the best feature is the DR replication for us. So, whatever data we are taking in the backup, it will get replicated end of day to our DR site.

What needs improvement?

In Rubrik, we were getting less time for backup the things because snapshot feature is there. So we asked that our EMC account manager help us. He suggested some block based backup, but we have seen that it won't stand as compared to the rubric snapshot back up. Rubrik and Veeam has the directly cloud interface. So, you have to just  configure the credentials for the cloud access and you can start taking the backup from Rubrik, which means the local backup is after schedule. So currently we don't think there is anything  like this with the Networker. We would like Networker to have a cloud side approach, which it does not currently have.

In addition, we have been facing some problems what with the initial configuration. I heard that Networker has released some beta versions.

Three to five years.

The stability is not so good, in the middle range.  Within the last 3 months, we were having some issues while just storing the backup. But it has been resolved within a one to two weeks. In regards to another case, it took a bit longer.

This solution is bundled with this DD 2500. But, there is some limitation for scalability of the DD 2500 shells. I can add only one more single shell, and that is a limitation.

We have used them, but we need to renew the service.

I have used Rubrik and Veeam in the past.

The implementation was difficult and, due to some reason, it was not done properly and we had to suffer a lot. The problems were only rectified only a month ago, after multiple follow- up with EMC teams.

When considering a vendor, I think it is key to find a solution that has:

• Minimal manual intervention
  • Low cost

Any person who is going to be installing this product should have full knowledge, and they should deploy whatever most valuable features are there. They have to explain it to the end-user and get it utilized for them.

The low cost is important.

What other advice do I have?

Dell EMC Networker is really the best in the market! After evaluating the solutions, we automatically decided to use this solution.