EMC VMAX [EOL] Review

Has easy management and good Enterprise capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a VMware and Exchange environment.

What is most valuable?

We like VMAX's Enterprise capability.

We have never had a bad experience with it because we never had failures. It has good data availability and the performance is also okay.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is a bit expensive. That is the reason we are now currently we are looking for other solutions. That's the reason we are looking at AFF and Unity. We are also considering PowerStore.

They have improved a lot in their last releases. The management is now quite easy. Before it was tedious because people were concerned about the administration tasks and now they made it simple.

In the next release, I would like to see NAS features.

We have been using VMAZ for 10 years because we have multiple products. We have refreshed twice. The last refresh happened four years ago and we are happy with VMAX.

It is scalable. We have 7,000 to 8,000 users.

For IT, our staff run multiple products, there is no single dedicated person for storage. So there isn't one person dedicated to this solution but rather someone who handles a variety of tasks.

I have worked with Hitachi and HP products.

One of the main advantages is that if you compare Enterprise Array it is all the same. They all have the same features. The only difference is support. EMC support is the only differentiator. They have an army of people in support.

Around eight years ago, the setup was complex. They recently changed the solution and management suite. It is now quite easy. We cannot compare it with NetApp or Unity but it is okay.

Upgrades are seamless and don't cause any interruptions. We don't need an admin guy to do any upgrades unless of course, it is a code upgrade or firmware upgrade. Everything is done by using the gateway. That is another advantage.

What other advice do I have?

Aim to implement additional features like de-duplication and compression. That should enhance the experience. Focus on unified features. People are now more cost-effective. They want to have one box with multiple features.

I would rate EMC VMAX an eight out of ten. I would like to see more deduplication and compression features in order to make it a ten.

More EMC VMAX [EOL] reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, IBM, Hitachi and others in Frame-Based Disk Arrays. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.