EMC VMAX [EOL] Review

Resilient storage solution with zero downtime that is easy to implement and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We have two data centers and we have VMAX in each one. We use VPlex to replicate data between the two.

What is most valuable?

This solution is resilient. There is zero downtime.

It's a workhorse.

What needs improvement?

The way you configure larger size volumes needs improvement. Currently, the one that we have is a single volume limit of 240 gigs. If you wanted bigger than that you have to do meta volumes to combine them.

My understanding is the VMAX3 and the PowerMax, did away with that, making it a lot easier to provision storage than in the past.

Scalability with the 2013 version was an area that needed improvement, but they have fixed it with later products.

All of the issues that I am currently facing with this version, for example, being able to create larger volumes and making it easier to manage, have all been implemented in the new versions of this solution.

The company had it installed in 2015, which was before I arrived. Personally, I have been working with it for a couple of years.

It's very stable.

We are trying to scale a vintage VMAX. As far as increasing capacity, it is a real nightmare.

The technical support is very good. We had a few problems with it, but that's a rare instance where I have opened a case, other than failed hardware. The support has been very good for this product.

From my understanding, EMC completed the initial set up.

I don't know what the licensing costs are but the support and software are included.

There are additional costs to the standard licensing fee, and it just depends on the package.

What other advice do I have?

The version that we are using is very near to the end of its life.

We will occasionally do code updates, but it is very difficult to buy disc drives for it anymore. I am not even sure that you can buy capacity upgrades.

It's fairly easy to implement this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More EMC VMAX [EOL] reviews from users