EMC VMAX Review

Expensive, but we run a big infrastructure of voip services on it and don’t get any complaints of latency or delays.

What is most valuable?

Virtual Provisioning, Auto provisioning and FAST VP.

How has it helped my organization?

Before VMAX, it was a huge task to provision storage to a host but with VMAX Auto provisioning it has become just a matter of few clicks. The VMAX virtual provisioning feature helps us save cost.

What needs improvement?

1) It is still expensive.

2) Front-end port throughput should be higher than what it is currently.

3) Restriction on storage and system bay ordering/placement should be gone.

More than 4 years now.

It is the most stable storage product I have worked with.

It was deployed by EMC itself. No issues faced.

We did not encounter any issues as we had planned expansion well before its deployment but in an environment where scalability was not planned before deployment, storage bay placement/ordering could cause some issues. New VMAX model (40K) sort out this issue by allowing 25 meters spanning between system and storage bay.

It is one of the best support I have worked with.

It is one of the best support I have worked with.

It was setup by EMC itself but its not a straightforward setup. Loads of planning is required to set it correctly.

Vendor.

What other advice do I have?

If someone is looking for a product that can give the best performance under heavy load then this is the product they must go for. We are running a big infrastructure of voip services on it and we don’t get any complaint of latency of delays from our customers.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a partner of the vendor.