EMC VMAX Review

Enables dynamic allocation of disk resources, improving data access speed, and application performance by a large extent

What is most valuable?

The most significant feature of this product is the FAST and FAST VP. FAST VP allows the array to intelligently manage the access to the data, wherein the data that demands high IOPS is placed into the performance tier. Whereas the data with a low IOPS requirement is placed into the capacity tier and everything happens automatically based on preset thresholds.

There is also storage tiering, secured access through initiator groups, and storage groups.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has enabled dynamic allocation of disk resources, and at the same time, improved the data access speed and application performance by a large extent.

What needs improvement?

Manageability is a bit of a challenge, as the user interface to access the array is not very user-friendly. Many important service consoles, such as the SymmWin is hidden from customer access. Hence, it blocks critical actions, such as failed disk change, etc.

Three years.

No issues encountered with stability.

This product can scale massively given its strong underlying infrastructure.

Technical support is very affirmative and efficient.

Yes. Previously, we had an EMC VNX solution. It was good, but was not suitable for large scale enterprise solutions, hence the switch took place. Also, it was a unified storage which was not the requirement in our environment. Therefore, no upgrade to the same product line was done.

It was complex, as it was a different platform altogether.

This part is taken care by another team, so I can't comment on it.

Yes, HPE and IBM storage solutions were considered, but VMAX seemed to meet most of our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Planning is very important, as this is a product with great capability. If not used effectively, most of it would be wasted, which would affect the ROI.