EMC VMAX Review

Enables users to upgrade and maximize their enterprise data storage capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are a local Dell EMC partner. We are upgrading our storage capacity. Soon we will be moving to PowerMax All-Flash for SAN environments to consolidate block, file, and open storage. This is the solution that we think will help us to increase performance, with regards to our storage requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

VMAX3 is our main system for storage. All our systems and all our virtualizations are connected to it. In terms of expanding it, we are replacing it with a new system, the PowerMax 2000 so our current VMAX3 platform will be decommissioned soon.

We are switching to PowerMax 2000 because we are looking for improved performance. We see it as the best fit for our requirements in terms of the performance and the overall cost.

What needs improvement?

Improvements for PowerMax might be tricky since what we already know that what we will receive is enough for us. All of our requirements are supported by the current version of PowerMax that we purchased.

As far as improvements for VMAX3, it would have been great to have it across all systems.

Still implementing.

VMAX3 is stable. We haven't encountered any major issues.

Technical support has been good as far as our support is concerned. Their response time has been good. I'm speaking for both our local support as well as the remote support we have received.

I've been using VMAX3 for approximately five years now. I use it for all our virtualization needs across all our server environments. We found this tool to be quite valuable. Though soon we will be migrating or should I say upgrading to the PowerMax.

I think we might still have some HP 3PAR 8400 kicking around as well but it was implemented before my time.

The VMAX3 solution has been around four to five years. It was already operational when I arrived at the company.

I have two storage administrators with me. Both doing the storage and the backup solution. for VMAX3.

Setup costs include a three-year support contract for PowerMax. The contract comes with renewal of the hardware. We usually renew based on the duration of the contract with our outsourcing partner. Generally, when we make a purchase, we usually purchase the tool with all the necessary specifications and of course, we must pay for all the additional features.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others looking to implement EMC VMAX is to look at it from the costing and support perspective. This is my advice since we don't have that many requirements aside from the tools, overall performance and the cost.

On a scale from one to ten, 10 being the best, I would give VMAX3 an 8 out of 10.