EMC VMAX Review

Offers seamless data compression and encryption with no impact on performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the VMAX3 All-Flash Subsystem to support our major Production and QA systems. This specific system currently supports approximately three hundred terabytes of data that includes several Oracle, SQL & DB2 Databases, SharePoint, SAP, JDE Systems, ESX, Windows, Unix, Linux, etc. We are planning on expanding the VMAX3 footprint and will likely double utilization within the next few months.

How has it helped my organization?

The VMAX3 is one of a few systems we have that's truly non-disruptive. Upgrades are coordinated, require zero application downtime, and can be completed in a very short window. Everything is truly active-active. Uptime and reliability are critical success factors within our organization.

What is most valuable?

EMC has made remarkable improvements in the overall management simplicity. Deploying, Expanding, and Modifying systems are easier than ever. Other valuable features include:

• Easy and non-impacting Data-At-Rest Encryption.
  • Comprehensive compression that reduces data consumption utilization while maintaining overall system performance.

What needs improvement?

I'm always interested in ways we can scale out and avoid monolithic migrations from one array to another every four to five years. Yes, there are a ton of easy migration methods, but I'd like to see improvements where we can scale out an existing array and remove older controllers\drives\etc., within the same subsystem.

Between one and two years.

We migrated off of an older VMAX 20K, VNX 5700 & an older HDS array.