EMC VNX [EOL] Review

Block and NAS on multiple VNX's are all managed from the same Unisphere GUI, but with the functionality/flexibility, the interface is more complex.

What is most valuable?

Block and NAS on multiple VNX's are all managed from the same Unisphere GUI. Plus, it has great data migration tools e.g. EMCopy.

How has it helped my organization?

Unisphere provides a one-stop go-to place to manage all my VNX storage arrays, saving me time, and screen space.

What needs improvement?

I preferred HP EVA over Clariion for block due to the simpler GUI, but the VNX (that uses Clariion-like block) appears more complex due to the flexibility it ultimately offers. It has more functionality/flexibility which means a more complex interface. But, all things considered, Unisphere is a very good interface. It doesn't seem too fast though, but that could be the environment rather than the VNX product, to be fair.

I've used it for four years, nine if you include when it was Clariion.

No issues encountered.

I don't like the way EMC's Powerlink support is behind a wall. You need to register an account, and join that account with your product serial numbers to open up the support pages and downloads for your products. As a consultant, I find that far too restrictive.

They are very good if you engage with them, so very high.

I use whatever my end client has purchased, be it EMC or another product. I don't often get to choose, but I would recommend a VNX if asked.

The documentation is very very good (with the exception of CAVA (optional anti-virus agent). That took some figuring out before I got it working properly, due to a subtle detail with physical/virtual data-movers. Setting one up should only be done with the documentation. never wing it.

Mostly in house, but I've worked with a vendor team post implementation where they test it end to end, and they're excellent.

I didn't choose it, but I would choose it. As mentioned above, I have enjoyed both EMC and HP's offerings in the marketplace. Depending on how simple the customer needs it to be, might sway my recommendation one way or the other, but in terms of functionality, VNX is very very good.

What other advice do I have?

Watch the YouTube videos first, they're very good. If you understand what's being said, buy it.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am 100% independent with no agreements in place to sell vendors products or recommend anything that I wouldn't put my name to. I do currently work as a contractor for Hewlett-Packard, but our customer happens to use EMC products for their storage. I work on the projects implementing the EMC kit and also data migration using EMC Celerra tools.
More EMC VNX [EOL] reviews from users