EMC VNX [EOL] Review

One of the best supports you will ever get with top notch tech support and live chat

What is most valuable?

• Its reliability and ease of use.
  • Single console for managing block and file (CIFS/NFS)
  • Data replication to DR site for both block and file
  • Auto tiering - Data movement in-between the pool
  • Fast cache - Global cache for low end arrays
  • EMC ViPR - A complete insight into the storage performance
  • Deduplication and compression

How has it helped my organization?

With more than 145 applications including SAP for different businesses running in our environment, our requirement was always to have a storage with a very good response time and performance.

What needs improvement?

So far we haven't had many issues with the VNX. However, the Data Mover (that manages CIFS/NFS) part needs some improvements. EMC's new storage (Unity) has no DM's as the NAS functionality is all virtual.

I have used EMC products for nine years and VNX products for six years.

No, we have never had issues with stability apart from one instance where we were hit by a bug in the VNX code. After an upgrade, it was resolved permanently.

No issues with scalability.

One thing I would like to explicitly mention here is the EMC support. It is by far one of the best supports you will ever get in comparison with any vendor. The Live chat option gives it an extra edge and the technical support is always top notch.

Yes, we were using HPE Storage, which was not a bad solution, but EMC wins hands down when it comes to the Enterprise storage. We were having stability/performance issues with HPE Storage.

Initial setup is very straightforward and easy as long as you know what goes where.

Yes, when it comes to pricing, EMC might be a little on the higher side, but you can't buy the performance of a Ferrari in a Toyota. Hence, you get what you pay for.

Since we were using HPE Storage, we had a look at IBM Storage as well. After a features comparison and our requirements, EMC was the right choice.

What other advice do I have?

EMC VNX is a mid-range enterprise storage. Make sure to choose the right system and do have a look at their EMC Unity series that has hybrid as well as All-Flash arrays. Before doing any implementation, make sure to do right-sizing and you will be good for the next five years.