EMC VNX [EOL] Review

It can scale to meet the needs of the growing business without compromising performance

What is most valuable?

• Auto Tiering: Ability to automatically move data from fast SSD drives to low cost disk drives and vise versa.
  • Performance: Increase performance with FAST Cache (SSD), QoS and Auto Tiering.
  • Unified storage: Provides capabilities for both block and file storage.

How has it helped my organization?

• Improved Performance: Since implementing VNX, we achieved a 10 times increase in the performance for its end users.
  • Increased Scalability: As we continue to grow, VNX can scale to meet the needs of the growing business without compromising performance.
  • Simplified Management: VNX's ease of use and Unisphere management software allow us to provision new storage in just minutes and instantly view its performance.
  • Data Protection: VNX's replication solutions deliver comprehensive data protection and disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

I think one area where we would like to see improvement is better deduplication and compression. Some other vendors offer better deduplication and compression ratios and performance.

Five years.

No, I think VNX is one of the stable storage products available in the market.

No. Very easy to scale, both capacity and performance-wise.

A nine out of 10.

We had EMC Celerra (file storage) and Clariion (block storage). When EMC introduced VNX, it provided both file and block storage capabilities. It was a no brainer for us to replace our existing storage with VNX. VNX made storage management simple as well as the cost of maintenance went down from two storage arrays to one.

EMC did the initial setup. Though VNX management is pretty straightforward. Utilizing Unisphere, we can provision storage in matter of minutes.

From a licensing perspective, my advice to others would be to take a look at VNX Total Efficiency Pack. This unlocks all the features of VNX.

We did not.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to do research on VNX application performance.