EMC VNX [EOL] Review

It allows us to consolidate our storage for better efficiency

What is most valuable?

• FAST auto-tiering is a great feature.
  • FAST cache is very good for performance.
  • The unified ability allows us to have a cost effective SAN and NAS storage combined on our smaller sites.

How has it helped my organization?

Unified VNX allows us to consolidate our storage for better efficiency.

What needs improvement?

It is not the easiest product to implement and manage, especially on the NAS side, but that is now fixed in its successor product from Dell EMC called Unity.

Over six years.

The stability is rock solid.

There are upper limits, but these are rarely reached depending upon the VNX model being used.

Dell EMC support is good, but expensive.

We have standardised on VNX, and now on the Unity successor product, having moved away from NetApp and EVA, which were not as reliable or as flexible.

Setup can be complex for the inexperienced storage administrator, especially on the NAS side. However, with training and/or experience, the VNX product is flexible and manageable.

VNX is not the cheapest in the market for SAN. But for NAS and SAN, the product is cost effective. I recommend that new purchases look to the successor product of Dell EMC Unity for the best pricing. For licensing, make sure you request Data at Rest Encryption (D@RE), if needed, as this is not bundled as standard.

HPE Nimble is a good competing product, especially as it now has the backing of HPE. However, Nimble is a point solution as it is SAN only. If you wanted to add NAS to a Nimble, you could use VMware and UnityVSA, but those are extract costs.

What other advice do I have?

VNX remains a great product. However, it is being superseded by the Dell EMC Unity product, which offers better pricing, All-Flash offerings, and a true Unity storage pool for maximum efficiency and flexibility.

More EMC VNX [EOL] reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: August 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.