Emc logo

EMC VPLEX Review
Cross datacenter automated failover means we don't have unpredictable manual failovers.

Valuable Features:

Cross datacenter automated failover.

Improvements to My Organization:

My organization uses two data centers. In the past, we would have to manually failover between those data centers. This timing would be unpredictable since it required human interaction. With VPLEX, we are able to automate this process where failovers between sites now occur automatically.

Room for Improvement:

The licensing model for enterprise storage (EMC VMAX) and integrating the solution into the actual storage frames instead of a separate product. I do believe Dell EMC is addressing both of these concerns in current and future product offerings.

Use of Solution:

I have used EMC VPLEX for three years.

Stability Issues:

We have not had stability issues.

Scalability Issues:

We have not had scalability issues.

The solution just runs and is very stable. It is only after an issue, such as a site disruption, that we even contact support to validate everything is healthy.

Previous Solutions:

We didn’t have a previous solution.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was straightforward. There was a bit of a learning curve on our part since this was our first implementation of a storage virtualization product.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Our current licensing model is mid-tier arrays (EMC VNX) that are licensed based on frame, which lends itself to putting all servers attached to that frame under VPLEX control. The enterprise arrays (EMC VMAX) are capacity based. This makes using VPLEX on these frames very expensive and we only do the systems that are most critical and require failover between sites on these frames. Dell EMC has told me they are addressing this concern.

Other Solutions Considered:

We did not evaluate any alternatives.

Other Advice:

We used it to primarily provide automated failover to our VMware virtualized environment. I would highly recommend any organization get their virtualization team involved right from the beginning. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you may have to change how you setup your VMware environment to accommodate the VPLEX implementation.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About EMC VPLEX ?

Our experts can help. 213,824 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.