EMC VPLEX Review

Clustering allows us to replicate our data transparently.

What is most valuable?

Clustering (Metro or Geo). It helps organizations to instantly replicate their data to the backup site, while making this totally transparent to the end users.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables our customers to instantly distribute their block data across two different sites.

What needs improvement?

Maybe setup a one-to-many cluster, instead of just a 1-to-1. If EMC could come up with a way to establish a cluster from one VPLEX to many VPLEX(s), that would allow organizations to be able to have more than one copy of their data, and therefore have one, or many, backup (or disaster recovery) sites.

Currently, a cluster can only be established between 2 VPLEX nodes. For example, if a customer has 3 sites, he can’t replicate data from Site #1 to both Site #2 and Site #3. Therefore, with VPLEX, only a 1-to-1 replication is possible.

If there was a way to set up a one-to-many or many-to-one replication, then it would allow customers to have more than one backup site.

I have used VPLEX for three years.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

We did not have any previous solutions.

The procedure is very clear and easy to follow.

We evaluated EMC RecoverPoint.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great product; very reliable. Just get trained and understand all the concepts around EMC VPLEX.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are EMC partners.