Enterasys Ethernet Switches Review

Good for networking large buildings, but there are problems with failing parts and the price should be lowered

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

These switches are mainly used for networking in large buildings. I have used it on government sites in the past, although I am now in the private sector.

What is most valuable?

This is a big telco switch with six slots.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be made simpler.

There have been a lot of issues with failing parts in these switches.

The pricing should be more competitive.

I have been working with Enterasys Ethernet Switches for perhaps three years.

I have seen a lot of problems with Enterasys switches. There were some parts that were failing a lot and I don't know why. We had a case with one client where we had to replace boards and line guards.

I have experience with many vendors including Aruba, Juniper, and Cisco Meraki.

These days, we primarily sell switches from HPE, Aruba, and Cisco. There is not much difference in the features between these switches and the one from Enterasys. It is only the command set that is different.

Aruba is the easiest switch to configure.

The access list should be different on Enterasys switches, compared to other vendors.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the environment. They are more complicated than Aruba or Cisco switches. If you have the documentation then it should not be too difficult.

These switches are very expensive compared to those from other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches because they are good, although they are very expensive. There is a variety of models to choose from but the ones that we chose were expensive. In our deployment, it was overkill because we had three switches in an environment where we only needed two.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.