erwin Data Modeler (DM) Review

Different members can work on the same model, regardless of where they are located

What is our primary use case?

We use it in order to create models, do some reverse engineering in the case of existing databases, and for comparing models, e.g., what is in the design vs reality.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us a visual of the database, which helps me with the complexity of the models. We can know if someone made changes to anything, which is very important from a development perspective. It helps us maintain control of the work.

We had some data integration projects, where we needed to integrate it for about 100 databases. Doing that manually is crazy; we can't do that. With erwin, it was much easier to identify which tables and columns could be used for the integration. That means a lot in terms of time and effort as well as my image to the customer, because they can see that we are providing value in a very short time.

The solution's code generation ensures accurate engineering of data sources. This accuracy affects our development time a lot. It is very easy to go into the graphical model to change something, e.g., generate scripts. It now takes minutes (less than an hour).

What is most valuable?

The ability to collaborate between different members across the organization is the most valuable feature. It gives us the ability to work on the same model, regardless of where we are physically.

I like the accuracy. It is very precise.

What needs improvement?

I am not so happy with its speed. Sometimes, it can have problems with connections.

erwin's automation of reusable design rules and standards is good, but it could be better.

About 30 years.

It is pretty good. I haven't had any problems with crashes, etc.

We have a consultant who is responsible for the maintenance.

The solution's scalability is good. However, there isn't a clear explanation of how to go from 10 to 20 users, which is something that customers ask us.

In my company, there are currently five data managers who use erwin.

I like their technical support. They try very hard to solve the problem.

They are not supporting old versions of some databases anymore, so I don't always have the tools that I need. I would like them to keep the support for the older versions.

The standard edition is quite straightforward to set up. It is just clicking, "Next, Next, Next." This takes less than an hour to set up.

It gets complicated when we set up the group edition. We need to start a database. Sometimes, erwin support is needed for the setup. The setup for the group edition can take two days to a week, depending on the database.

We also sell erwin to some of our customers. Usually, we create some sort of implementation steps to ensure that it will work.

We have seen ROI in terms of time, e.g., consulting time and the ability to answer customers faster. This has improved the image of the company.

The solution’s ability to generate database code from a model for a wide array of data sources cuts development time from two weeks to one day or even hours. This is one of the features that I like.

The price should be lower in order to be on the same level as its competitors.

I have worked with Toad, Sparx, and the free version of Oracle Data Modeler. erwin DM's competitors are cheaper, but the look and feel of erwin is more user-friendly, professional, mature, and enterprise level.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using erwin Data Modeler. You should have a good business case to convince the finance team, as the price is high for Latin America.

I would rate this solution as nine out of 10.

More erwin Data Modeler (DM) reviews from users