ESET Endpoint Security Review

What is our primary use case?

ESET Endpoint Security is an AV product which can help an organisation to protect from know/unknown malware. Also, it has a high detection rate compared with other products.

How has it helped my organization?

ESET Endpoint Security helps to improve our organisation's security. ESET Endpoint Security provides a smart level of security with a low system footprint, low bandwidth usage, and smooth performance while doing security operations. However, in some cases, ESET Endpoint Security was unable to provide 100% protection against zero day attacks.

What is most valuable?

• ESET SysInspector: Provides full details of the process and modules loaded with path and risk levels.
  • Two-way firewall: Advanced level endpoint firewall, which helps to block unwanted and malicious traffic.
  • Trusted Network Detection: Provides strict protection when clients connect to an unauthorised network.
  • HIPS: Detects threats based on system behaviour and provides tampering protection for registry, processes, and files.
  • Centralised management: Visualised, central, advance management, server console.

What needs improvement?

ESET Endpoint Security does not have application control. ESET should consider giving it application control. Also, it needs to improve the temper protection and provide more detection capabilities (e.g., more behaviour base).

Three to five years.

ESET Endpoint Security is most suitable with an SMB enterprise environment, not a larger Enterprise. ESET Remote Administrator server is able to manage easily if users are 1000 or less without any issues. In larger enterprises environments (more than 1000 users), we have to do proper DB sizing and hardware sizing, since in some cases, ERA server gets slow while handling the ESET Agents.

ESET has very good customer service and technical support.

We have some level of experience with Panda, Kaspersky, and Symantec.

We considered the resources that would be taken, the performance of PCs, the malware detection, product management complexity, and the price factor. Most of our clients switched to ESET.

The initial setup is straightforward,

The vendor has a good level of expertise, so implementation is easy.

The cost is a very reasonable. When compared with other products, the price is low (though not very low).

We also evaluated:

• Symantec
  • Panda
  • Kaspersky

What other advice do I have?

ESET Remote Administrator server (ERA) installation and ESET Endpoint Security Agent installation are not complex. Policy configuration is also not hard and can be done in a short time of period, then you will be able to stand up your server and run.