ESET File Security Review

Good reporting tools, lots of configuration options, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The reporting tools are the solution's most valuable aspect. We're able to see what is going on within the network to see if there is any illicit activity happening.

Overall, the solution works pretty well as far as I know. Internal security is like modern warfare. You rely on it to tell you you are alright and your system is clean. In that sense, it's been effective, and I have no complaints in terms of its capabilities.

The solution offers a lot of configuration capabilities.

The solution offers good documentation and step by step guides.

The logging is very good.

What needs improvement?

The way that the remote deployment works needs to be improved. I'm not sure if Trend Micro is still around, however, we found that solution much easier to deploy. They need to update their deployment methodology.

The solution can be quite technical and therefore is challenging for new users.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution is great. It doesn't crash. It doesn't freeze. It doesn't seem to have bugs or glitches. We've found it to be quite reliable in the five years we've worked with it.

It's fairly easy to scale the solution if you need to. I believe it's just a matter of getting more licenses. That's all. I don't see that as a limitation.

We've dealt with technical support previously. It's been a pleasant experience whenever I've dealt with them. I haven't had to deal with them too much, however, they are always helpful. They're knowledgeable and responsive.

We used to use Trend Micro. We've used other products as well.

The other products that we did use, why we chose them would boil down to the fact that a lot of them offered this educational discount. It was quite a big selling point. The other products that I was aware of the company using previously were on par with this solution. However, this solution ended up being more expensive, purely because they don't offer educational discounts. With a school obviously having multiple devices you are kind of seen as being an enterprise by many companies.

The initial setup was not complex. The implementation was pretty straightforward. However, the deployment could be easier.

That said, a basic setup only takes an hour or two to implement completely.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We tend to use the solution's most recent version. We try to keep it updates. We remotely deploy the solution.

If a company has technical individuals and they understand networking and antivirus criminologies, the solution would be good for them. For a novice user it might be quite complicated. In my opinion, it doesn't really have straight forward Wizards or base templates. It's got a lot of room for configuration, which is in some ways is fantastic - if you are technical. If you're not technical, it's probably a bit complicated.

That said, there is documentation, and there are step by step guides, so a new user isn't completely blind going it. It's just more challenging.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. Aside from the fact that it could be easier to use, I have nothing bad to say about it.

More ESET File Security reviews from users