EVault [EOL] Review

Reports on the WebCC console give an easy overview of your size and growth

What is most valuable?

Reports are available via the WebCC console, which can give you an easy overview of your size and growth. Image plugins are very helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

Their SQL Plugin works better now than it did before. The KB is more complete and allows for individual troubleshooting. Also, it has links to the answers; a lot more reliable than when I started.

What needs improvement?

The notification setup on the local jobs is confusing. You can set it up that you get notices for job failure, etc. You need to go to three different places to configure how to get notice about job failure. It would be smarter to have this centralized.

Also, EVault only informs you of some change controls but not all. I had jobs fail because the change control messed up the settings on their end. You have to call them and tell them their CC failed. This is usually when they make network changes and I feel they do not test properly.

I have used this solution for over three and a half years.

When they perform change controls, sometimes you have jobs that fail the next day because of improper configuration on their end, i.e., occasional license issues. It seems that new ones are needed every once in a while. Not often, but SQL jobs lose their credentials and you must re-enter them. There is no rhyme or reason as to why and when this happens.

There were scalability issues, you must monitor the job size. They say DBs should be no larger than 500 GB which is impractical in today’s workplace.

Their Help Desk/Support is uneven. Sometimes, it takes a long time to talk to someone. Not all technicians know their product, whereas others are very good. Not enough coverage in the morning. The servers that serve KBs have gotten a lot better.

We had no other solution before.

The initial setup was easy. They work with you and follow up to make sure that it is working as it should be.

Wrong licenses will cause your jobs to fail.

I did not evaluate any other products. Our VP looked at Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

The size of the storage is important. If your company grows, you will have issues with not enough space and you will need a different license for more space. There are different types of plugins you can use. They are very helpful. Overall, this product is more stable than it was in the past.