ExaGrid EX Series Review

Useful landing zone feature, fast setup, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for backup and recovery. It is integrated within to backup and recover virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

One of the main features is the landing zone, it is a particular space where the information is not duplicated. When you speak about the recovery, it is faster than the information that has been duplicated. This feature is good.

What needs improvement?

Product support could be improved. It is next day support when it comes to parts.

I have been using the solution for 1 year.

The equipment is pretty solid. We have had an issue once with one of the discs, we reported it and they sent us the part. We only had to change it and that was it, very easy.

When speaking about a scale-out, you want to have better equipment. You cannot just add a disc to the current equipment. You have to buy another one and put it together, in parallel. If you think of this as scalability, it could be a little more expensive. However, it also adds more CPU power and that can be an advantage. Regarding the cost of adding a second box, ExaGrid says that they have pretty good discounts, they try to compensate for it.

The support is not that fast to deal with our concerns. It is next day support, they could improve on the speed.

The setup was really easy. The equipment is really easy to configure and install.

The current agreement has 21 terabytes of free space and it cost approximately $35,000.

What other advice do I have?

Those evaluating this product should understand you cannot just increase the equipment size as easy as adding discs, it is really important to have good initial sizing for the equipment. If you need more space, you will have to buy another box.

I rate ExaGrid EX Series an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about ExaGrid, NetApp, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.