Extreme VDX Review

A simple and stable solution with a web interface and two-factor authentication

What is our primary use case?

I used it in my previous organization where I was helping with the move to a new building.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity and web interface were most valuable. I also liked the two-factor authentication.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be better. If possible, it can have Hyper POE. I am not sure if there is a fiber version.

I used this solution for three months.

We never had any issues when I was working there. At the same time, it was never updated.

Its scalability is quite limited. We had four buildings merging into one building, and scalability was probably the reason why they didn't proceed with buying more Brocade switches and routers. Basically, we didn't drop these switches. We left them for new people who were taking over.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

I have also used Ruckus. It is easier to set up ACLs and stuff like that in this solution as compared to Ruckus. Ruckus has a great POE, and it is also easy to set up the network the first time, but when it comes to troubleshooting and setting up ACLs, Ruckus is pretty terrible.

It is a little hard to set up. It is not like Cisco that has some straightforward commands. You probably need to read a lot if you are using the terminal, and it is a little tricky. If you are using the web interface, it is pretty straightforward.

I and my partner were maintaining it. I was the technician, and my partner was the admin.

It was around $1500 a year. It is cheaper than Cisco but more expensive than Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation of the current model and always create a backup because anything can happen. I was working in a rural area, and the weather kept interfering with signal strengths and bandwidth.

If you're using the terminal, you have to teach yourself brand new commands. If you are using the web interface, it is pretty straightforward.

I would rate Extreme VDX an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Extreme, Arista, Ubiquiti Networks and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.