ExtremeCloud IQ Review

We spend less time configuring/maintaining/troubleshooting controllers at a multitude of sites. The initial configuration may seem a little daunting but is worth it.

What is most valuable?

• Centralized management of APs at separate locations (we have over 10,000 APs spread over more than 190 sites).
  • VPN capability.
  • Controller-less so that we don't have to worry about upgrading a controller to support newer models of APs when they are released, or having to configure many controllers.

How has it helped my organization?

• We spend less time configuring/maintaining/troubleshooting controllers at a multitude of sites.
  • "Single pane of glass" to go to when we need to troubleshoot wireless.
  • Good troubleshooting tools that are built-in.

What needs improvement?

• When there are errors, the description could be worded better to give you a better idea of what is wrong.
  • GUI could be enhanced more to allow more advanced sorting, greater variety of bulk changes, and more useful information when making deletions in configurations.

We've used it for over 2 1/2 years.

We did have issues with deployment, but not because of Aerohive. The issues were because of the vendors doing the work (cabling contractors and AP installers).

We didn't really have issues with stability, and they were a lot less than our previous solutions.

We had no issues with scalability at all. Aerohive scales very well.

Customer service is great.

Tech support has been great.

Yes, we were primarily a Meru shop with a little bit of Aruba and Xirrus. We switched because Aerohive presented a much better solution when our wireless RFP went out. The cost and feature set to scale for our deployment just made Aerohive a clear winner.

The setup was a little complex because we had never used the product, and we were making network changes to how things were configured previously.

The configuration was a collaboration between in-house and an Aerohive engineer. The implementation in terms of cabling and actual installation of APs were done through a vendor. The vendor expertise was not as great as we would have liked.

Meru, Aruba, Cisco, and one other that I can't remember were all considered before Aerohive was chosen.

What other advice do I have?

The initial configuration of the Aerohive solution may seem a little daunting, but it is worth it and becomes a lot easier as you begin to use it and understand how it works. If you are coming from a multi-controller environment, you will be extremely happy.

More ExtremeCloud IQ reviews from users