ExtremeCloud IQ Review

What is most valuable?

• HiveManager has been a valuable tool to manage/troubleshoot Access Points, Branch Routers, and connected clients.
  • Easy and consistent deployments allow for a seamless user experience and lowers the chances for administrative mistakes.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to provide wireless service while leveraging security mechanisms and utilizing some web filtering such as blocking torrent traffic.

What needs improvement?

• Hivemanager NG does not support all devices.
  • Policy management - objects become tied together so you have to dismantle a policy to be able to delete it. They can not be renamed.
  • There are also configuration sections that require you to scroll through a list instead of just giving you an "edit" button.

5 years.

Deployment was smooth. Being able to use the planning tool helped create the layout for AP's in the building and the best signal coverage.

Generally no however there are 2 occasions that caused us some problems.

AP120 back on hivemanager 4 ran into a buffer issue where clients would just stop communicating even though they remained connected. This was a driver buffer overflow issue fixed with a newer firmware and AP121s.

We had issues on hivemanager 6 where the roaming capabilities between access points stopped working. Also fixed with an update provided by Aerohive.

No, we have many AP's and 100 branch routers. The hivemanager design makes it easy to add a new piece of hardware and just send an update with the existing policy to get it configured.

Customer service meets expectations however there is room for improvement. Sometimes the communication occurs via email and can try your patience.

Technical support has declined in recent years. Fairly functional however much more difficult than in the past to get escalated to someone that can help investigate specific issues. There also may be language barriers that require someone else to relay information.

No. We researched multiple vendors however the controller-less system and hivemanager capabilities won. Why is there a minimum character of 120 if the answer is No.

Setup is fairly straightforward. Our initial deployment included using the Aerohive AP's to authorize radius requests which made it more complex for setup.

In house, Hivemanager makes policy configuration and deployment simple enough that engineers were able to design and configure the initial settings and have support staff deploy the equipment.

We are able to increase employee productivity and provide guest internet services.

We no longer need ethernet ports/switches in the conference rooms.

Hardware is more expensive than a home router but there is a reason. In addition to the feature sets that hivemanager provides having a maintenance agreement allows us to provide better service to the end users.

Meraki/Aruba.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it!

More ExtremeCloud IQ reviews from users