ExtremeCloud IQ Review

What is most valuable?

The WIFI planning tool is incredibly useful for determining proper AP location throughout our campus. The mesh technology also provides a robust infrastructure for the many guests who frequent our campus.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had a Ubiquiti WIFI system across our 32 acre campus. The signal strength was great, but it was not robust. Once 10-15 clients connected to an AP the whole system would slow to a crawl. Aerohive changed that for us. We now have no issues of automatically load balancing all of our APs.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see a more granular web filter. Specifically, I'd like to be able to see what content clients are accessing from each AP. Currently, we get general information (ex. Google App or SSL Gmail) but no details.

~ 1 year

We did not have any issues with our deployment. I'm not sure why their is a minimum character count on a question asking if you experienced any issues with deployment. If the answer is no, then the answer is no. Nuff said.

We did not experience any issues with stability. Once configured, the Aerohive system basically runs itself. We have auto-upgrade enabled and the new updates get installed without us having to really do anything. We do verify that things are good after an update, but we typically don't have to take any action.

We have had no issues with scalability. The WIFI planning tool is a great asset for us. We evaluate the coverage and then add APs as needed to cover dead spots or add new areas of coverage.

The customer service has been great. We had a few questions when configuring Radius. When we explained what we were trying to accomplish, they advised us of several different options, discussed the pros/cons of each and helped us set a path forward.

The technical support has been great. We had a few questions when configuring Radius. When we explained what we were trying to accomplish, they advised us of several different options, discussed the pros/cons of each and helped us set a path forward.

We previously used Ubiquiti networks. The solution connected several buildings across our 32 acre campus. The signal strength was pretty good, even though it dropped off in a relatively short distance. However, the system was not robust and failed easily under load.

We actually used a vendor to complete the initial setup. Based on what I've seen, it doesn't look very complicated. All of the changes we made afterwards were pretty straightforward.

We used a vendor for the initial implementation. From what I've heard, the vendor is quite skilled with Aerohive. We were able to verify with several companies who used their services and were satisfied.

Hard to measure our ROI. With our previous Ubiquiti system, there was no ROI. The WIFI was up until you needed to use it and then it was overloaded and non-functional. Now, the Aerohive just works all of the time.

Our APs were around $630 per unit. We did have to purchase HiveManager licenses for each AP at around $110 per AP. This price is low considering we have had no issues with the system.

Yes, we evaluated Cisco, Cisco Meraki, Ubiquiti, and Ruckus. We found that Aerohive performed the best and most consistently across campus.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Aerohive to anyone seeking a robust cloud-based WIFI system. We have been pleased with the product features, reliability, and their technical support.

More ExtremeCloud IQ reviews from users
...who work at a Educational Organization
...who compared it with Junos Space Network Director
Find out what your peers are saying about Extreme, Cisco, IBM and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.