ExtremeControl Review

Enables us to know which end users are using which features and the kind of traffic coming through

What is our primary use case?

I'm a pre-sales engineer, working at Egypt's largest university. I have experience with firewalls such as FortiManager from Fortinet, Sophos XG and NG, Cisco ASA and Palo Alto Firewall. In addition, I'm involved with network security, monitoring software and as a port analyzer and port manager, and I also have experience with Extreme Networks Management software and Network Access Control solutions.

We've implemented ExtremeControl at our university. It enables us to control all access points, firewalls, and switches. Using Extreme Network Access Control provides availability on VNN to import users for authenticated access for individuals at the University, including staff, students, and others.

How has it helped my organization?

Our agents can see most of the topics being searched on the university internet. The traffic is analyzed. In Egypt, internet access is expensive so we try to use sites that can consume our traffic efficiently. Like everybody, we don't want it wasted on personal use, rather for university use only.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the product is that I can know which end users are using which features, the type they are using, and the kind of traffic coming through, even when we're in our network. I have that recognition which is great.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by allowing us to control all users in the network, overall layers, end to end. I'd like to have access to more information on the traffic passing through.
The product has been sufficient for our needs, meaning that I'm able to configure additional devices at the same time and as I see fit. I haven't seen other products to get a comparison but I would like to see more integration with other products and possibly more revisions.

I've been using the product for two years.

It's a stable solution.

We haven't had any technical issues but I'm satisfied with the support available. Our software team in Extreme can provide us with more updates if there are any bugs and/or any in-house issues. Without the know-how, some problems can be expensive. It's not difficult contacting technical support, usually, we can go through our PCs using pViewer or another connection. But we haven't had any problems to date.

It was an easy setup and took about an hour. You can think of it as being more of an SSI. Following setup, we put in some protocols to provide a lot of the specifics for our network. Switches, access points, controllers, firewalls, and others. The most work was to get free access to the teachers. The system can be used with other vendors like ProHT, Huawei, and D-Link.

The product was implemented by Extreme.

What other advice do I have?

We have 1,000 end users who are using Extreme. We have a license for up to 100 devices. There are licenses for higher numbers but that's what we have. The product is in regular use and it's not expensive. It has good compatibility features, it's cheaper than Cisco Manager but comparable in price to other software solutions. I can use it with other vendors whereas Cisco doesn't allow that.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10. No software can get a ten out of ten, there's always room for improvement.