ExtremeManagement Review

Very easy management with good stability and very responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used generally for network device management, like switches, routers, and other kinds of appliances. We also use it for things like network access control solutions, which are incorporated into this management solution and networking traffic analytic solutions.

It is a combined solution, it's not only used for the device management and configuration but also for things like network control and application analytics.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about the solution is that it is all managed from just a single application window. We call this feature a single pane of glass due to the fact that almost all the features are all managed within a single application, or a browser, to be more specific.

You don't have to switch between different applications or between different windows. You have it all in a single window pane. It's all extremely convenient.

You can incorporate the net management features and network access control features into other vendors and manage it all within a single management product.

What needs improvement?

Some features are quite difficult to configure and they are very complicated to figure out. Maybe the vendors should introduce a more driven configuration that can clarify the processes a bit more to make the processes more clearly defined.

They should think more about incorporating their wireless solutions into this management product, as it's not widely deployed at the moment. They have quite a wide-ranging portfolio of wireless solutions, however, they are not managed well in the current release of management solutions.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is definitely stable. We don't experience crashes. It's reliable. If there are any bugs, they are quickly identified and removed as soon as possbile. All enhancements and new features are well documented in release notes.

The solution is scalable, I would say even by default, due to the fact that you have different application images that are suitable for small environments or for larger enterprise environments. You have a job prepared for each scenario. I would therefore describe it as extremely scalable.

I have contacted technical support many times. Usually, they are very efficient and they can solve the issue very fast. Even if I call in the evening, they are able to solve most of the issues immediately, during the first call. I've been very satisfied with their level of service.

I've had very little experience with other solutions, and definitely none of them have been studied and worked with as much as I have with this product. This solution really stands out for me for its ease of management and networking aspects.

The solution is neither straightforward nor complex. It's got an intermediate amount of difficulty. You need to know a bit about what you are doing, however, it's not difficult per se.

The time it takes to deploy the solution really depends on how many devices you have, as well as how they are interconnected and how they are configured. For the customer, it takes a couple of days for the whole environment to be implemented.

In terms of pricing, in general, all you have to pay is what is called Xtreme Works or Partner Works. It's a support fee. If you want to have the right to get the updates or to call for support, you have to pay for this kind of service. Otherwise, you're not eligible to download updates and call for global assistance.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Xtreme partner and we sell the solutions to our customers.

I would strongly suggest other companies at least try to use the solution. You can ask any partner of Xtreme to run a demo of this management product. It will give you a good sense of what to expect. One thing that I would mention is that you can operate the solution not only with Xtreme's equipment but with many other vendors like Cisco or HP. It's great.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's almost perfect as a product. We really enjoy using it.

8.4
Learn what your peers think about ExtremeManagement. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.