ExtremeManagement Review

Increases efficiency and reduces costs through remote configuration and management

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to manage our Extreme switches. We also assist customers with the integration of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has made my job more efficient. I need fewer people to do implementation and support, and I don't have to go on-site to change the configuration or otherwise support the switch. Overall, this solution is very helpful in terms of improving efficiency and reducing costs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to manage different configurations for different switches. When I modify a configuration there is a history, and I can roll back to a previous version if I need to. The history contains a store of all of the previous configurations.

I can also automate the configuration process. For example, if I have to replace something on a malfunctioning switch then I can put in the serial number and it will continue on its own. I don't need a trained person to be on-site to replace the switch.

When it comes to configuration and management, I can even take care of these tasks remotely.

What needs improvement?

This solution has support for monitoring switches from other vendors, although the ability to manage them is limited. It would be helpful if this solution had support for configuring and managing third-party hardware devices. This would require cooperation between vendors, but if they are willing then it would improve this product.

Between two and three years.

I do not recall having any issues with the stability of this product.

This is a very scalable solution.

We have between two and three thousand end users.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

Quite some time ago, we did use other solutions. We could see that this technology was leading edge, without the corresponding costs as compared to the other market leaders.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward, and it is very easy to use.

The deployment time is dependent more on management than the solution itself.

There is no additional staff required in order to maintain this solution. In fact, using this tool reduces the requirement for personnel.

We are an integrator and handled our own deployment. We also handle the implementation of this solution for our customers.

We do realize cost savings with this solution, but we have not made any formal calculations. Financially, this solution makes sense.

The licensing fees are calculated on a per-node basis, which is determined by the number of users. The support is billed on a yearly basis, and there are no additional costs.

This is the default solution for our customers. If it can handle the requirements and the customer is happy then we do not look for other tools. We receive feedback from our clients who have compared products that they have used previously, and they are very happy with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution that can really help you to manage and reduce your costs. You only need to have one skillset, as opposed to multiple skillsets. It is a very attractive solution from both a technical and a cost standpoint.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.