ExtremeRouting Review

Good routing and excellent third-party customer service, but extremely unstable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for routing purposes.

What is most valuable?

The routing protocol is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

Overall, we've had a lot of issues with the solution. It should operate more like Cisco's Nexus 9300. It needs a lot of work.

Due to the issues we've been having, we plan on replacing the device completely.

The solution is far too unstable. It's completely unreliable.

I've only been using the solution for one year.

There are a lot of stability issues. We have to replace the mini components. When we experienced those problems, the issue with components, we received new components. Even when we received the new components, they were also, I wouldn't say broken, however, they were not working properly.

We had to send back the devices and components, and, in fact, a motherboard. It seems like when companies send the components back, the company ends up just reselling them to other companies. Yet those components were not working properly, so this seems ill-advised.

After all the issues, we decided to replace the core switches because we don't have any trust in them at all.

Technical support was actually supplied by a third party. We don't go directly to the company.

It's kind of network and I believe it's a Canadian company that supplies the services. They are a technical support company based in Montreal.

I would say that we got really great support from them. We've been quite satisfied with their services.

I believe we pay extra to utilize the services. It's not included in the cost.

We've had a lot of issues with the equipment in general. It's hard to say it's straightforward when so many things are going wrong.

I'm unsure of what the licensing costs are. Users will have to pay extra for technical support, however.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a special contract with the solution and we aren't a consultant or reseller.

My understanding is the company plans to replace this solution within the next six months as they've been unhappy with the performance of the solution.

I would advise other organizations not to purchase this solution. I really prefer Cisco products, which work much more effectively.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's not a terrible solution, however, our experience was very bad.

BST 9000
More ExtremeRouting reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Enterprise Routers
Find out what your peers are saying about Extreme, MikroTik, Huawei and others in Routers. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.