F5 Advanced WAF Review

Good technical support and protection using attack signatures, but the auto scaling and BIG-IQ need improvement

What is our primary use case?

F5 is a web application firewall and load balancer.

The primary use case of this solution is for data protection and security.

What is most valuable?

I like all of the features, but the main one is the attack signatures.

What needs improvement?

If they could separate the control plane from the data plane, it would give us more flexibility, especially with the Hyper Cloud. This could be the reason they purchased NGINX.

They have released the first production release but they are not there yet. It would be good to have this separation in the near future.

Also, automation on the cloud is not easy. It's a bit of a job, and it doesn't auto-scale very well.

They need to work on the BIG-IQ, which is centralized management. There are too many devices. Managing them individually is inconvenient. Essentially, BIG-IQ is supposed to centralize the management for all of the boxes but it's not very effective.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

The stability is very good.

There is no solution that is bug-free, but when comparing it with other vendors, I would say that F5 is less buggy than the others.

The scalability is an issue at the moment, which is the reason they need to separate the control plane from the data plane.

We are using this solution daily. It runs 24/7.

The technical support is very good. They are knowledgeable and helpful.

The initial setup was simple and it took an hour to deploy.

This solution does not require a lot of maintenance but we need to do the patching regularly.

We do the implementation but at times we get consultations from F5.

It's more expensive than other solutions and depending on the modules, there can be additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

If I would compare F5 with other solutions, the main differences are the support and the stability of the code, it has fewer bugs.

For on-premises deployments I would recommend F5, but for the cloud, it would be questionable.

I would rate this solution a seven of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

More F5 Advanced WAF reviews from users
...who compared it with Signal Sciences
Learn what your peers think about F5 Advanced WAF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.