F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Review

Straightforward, stable, scalable, and really good for load balancing

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of F5, but we haven't had many projects that we've deployed with F5. In terms of use cases, it is used when clients have web servers, and they are hosting on their own infrastructure. When they have web applications that are publicly visible, they use F5 to balance that incoming traffic for their web servers.

What is most valuable?

The web application firewall feature is the most valuable and useful feature. It is a leading industry product when it comes to load balancing.

Its user interface is very simple. There isn't a steep learning curve. When we initiate someone to F5, they start using it quickly.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be better. It is a bit expensive.

I have been using this solution for the last five years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable.

I never had a case that required technical support.

It is very easy to set up. It is not a complicated product. The deployment duration depends on the architecture that you're deploying, but it usually doesn't take much time.

The number of people required for its deployment depends on the size of the deployment. For a very big deployment, you need less than three people. For a fairly normal or standard deployment, just one person would be fine.

It is a bit expensive product. Kemp Loadmaster is much cheaper than F5.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis. It can be for one year or three years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a really good solution. It is fairly straightforward, and it does what it is meant to do.

I would rate F5 BIG-IP a nine out of ten. In terms of features, it is good, but its price can be better.

More F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Citrix ADC
Learn what your peers think about F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.