F5 BIG-IP Review

We use it’s LTM feature for many applications, especially HTTP and HTTPS. A bug in the firmware caused hardware failures.

Valuable Features

LTM is a full-reverse proxy, handling connections from clients. The F5 LTM uses Virtual Services (VSs) and Virtual IPs (VIPs) to configure a load balancing setup for a service. We have used this feature in many applications, especially for HTTP and HTTPS.

Room for Improvement

There is room for improvement with their firmware quality control. A bug in the firmware caused hardware failures.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for one year.

Unfortunately, we faced hardware failures and a lot of other problems, as well.

With the hardware failure problem, we faced a management problem via the GUI. We could only manage the device through the CLI. The issue was caused by a firmware bug.

In addition, health check statistics like CPU and memory utilization were not correct.

It is F5’s responsibility to solve those problems, and I don’t know how they can release firmware with such bugs to their customers.

F5 support can be rated low on the scale, as there is a problem regarding handover between their engineers when we follow-up with them about some technical cases.

Other Advice

I recommend considering NetScaler, as well.