F5 BIG-IP Review

What is our primary use case?

This product has helped us build robust solutions for what my company does.

How has it helped my organization?

We are fond of the load balancing feature for DNS and servers. Also, these can help you natting/hiding the real IP.

What is most valuable?

I have been working on the LTM and GTM lines. Both of the products are awesome. I would consider the Wide IP and ZoneRunner features of GTM extremely useful.

For the overall product, I would say provisioning is a good feature. There are other modules, which are good and people might want to try, such as APM and ASM. They are used for firewall and SSL VPN.

What needs improvement?

The only area that has room for improvement would be pricing.

Other than that, the v11 clustering is a new technology they have brought in that does not require improvement. They are the leader in the space.

Three to five years.

We did not find any stability issues while working on it.

Bugs are part of any solution and they are fixed with every release, as with any vendor.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

We used to work with support three years back and it was not that great then. Hopefully, the situation has now improved.

We did not require much technical support, as the product has good documentation. However, the experience with support as compared to other vendors was not excellent, but usable.

Regarding load balancing, this was our first product.

If you do not understand the design of this product, initial setup is tricky. If you do understand it, initial setup is straightforward.

This was implemented by an in-house team.

With the new pricing model, ROI was low, hence we switched.

This product is costly from a licensing perspective considering its competitors. This is why it lost a rating point from me.

If your IT budget can support it, go for it.

What other advice do I have?

Attend a training class before trying to deploy it, or at least refer to online videos on their portal, as this will make it fairly easy for you.

It is one of the best and easiest load balancing solutions. The product was designed to allow newbies to configure it, and it is properly documented.

2 Comments
Orlee GillisConsultant

Girish, what value have you seen in the documentation provided by F5 BIG-IP that you would like to see implemented by other vendors?

29 May 17
Girish VyasReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Hello Orlee,

Thanks for reaching out to me. The documentation covers the entirity of the product along with guide to why that feature is enriching. Most vendors tend to forget that the documentation is written to keep the end user being a completely newbie. They just assume their reader knows the product. And others don't document at all. It needs to list the feature why was it implemented and how can it be used. And commands to enable the feature . Hope this help . As an example the don't list of having irules feature but also mention why was it deployed and how can you use it .. not to forget dev central and what more can you achieve of the box.

Regards