F5 BIG-IP Review

It's stable. They could make the licensing more aligned with the business model.

What needs improvement?

I think the product is a good product. I think where they can improve is in the licensing. It's quite expensive. They could make it more aligned with the business model than with the hardware.

I have been using F5 for about two years.

It is a stable product but sometimes we have some issues. I have other products that are competitors of F5, and they are also good. The performance of F5 so far is good.

Usually, because we are responsible for providing high availability, we run our architecture with redundancy. Usually, for example, when I have F5, I have a couple of F5s, the active one and the standby one. Today, I had problems. I don't know what happened; it couldn't reload automatically. The other one assumed that I have problems with my infrastructure. That's unfortunately the life of an operations guy.

It is scalable and should meet our future requirements.

Technical support is OK. Usually, you don't have direct support from the vendor. You have intermediating in the middle.

The setup is not straightforward. To set up this product, you must know how to do it. Otherwise, you can't do it. It's not plug and play.

What other advice do I have?

They could buy it but there are other choices such as Cisco ACE products, as well. We have it. They are also good. F5 are good. Usually, I'm not locked into one vendor.

The reality is our bookkeeping department unfortunately has a problem with them. Because of that, I have had some issues concerning getting services from the vendor.

1 Comment
author avatarGeorgesSamaha
TOP 5LEADERBOARDReal User

Hello there
I have a couple of comments on some points:

Stability Issues:

==> We have deployed F5 LTM, ASM, CGNAT, DNS FW in large and heavy use environments (Telcos, ISPs, Data Centers...) and there was never any stability performance issues in either a single appliance performance, or Failover mechanism

Are you sure there is not routing/Connectivity issues between the two Boxes?

Was the HA tested well upon deployment? maybe there is some mis-configuration that led to this failure in

Initial Setup:

--> Am not sure if you have worked on other reverse proxy solutions or not, but it can never get easier or simpler (or less Steps) from what F5 is providing, on the contrary, configure a new Setup on F5 BIG-IP is considered a straight-forward and fast configuration feature.

I hope you take my comments positively, it's just that i was surprised reading about your bad experience with it, as we've been working with F5 products for more then 5-6 years, and we have a very successful and positive experience, specially in the points you have focused on.