F5 Silverline Web Application Firewall Review

Provides great protection features and has good support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of F5 is for a WAF. I used to use F5 to do some double load balancing. And now, for my current use case, we primarily use the F5 Silverline as an application firewall to protect our web servers.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is that they have L7-firewall protection, to protect our web servers.

What needs improvement?

I think F5 is one of the best web application firewalls in the world. So support is pretty good. They provide the best protection features in the market at the moment. I can't tell how they could improve. I just hope the price can be cheaper. I think they are changing. They are also providing some other pricing models, deployment models, etc. It's actually quite okay for us. It fulfills all of our requirements. But from the product perspective, I believe, there is some room for them, to improve.

I think they need to improve the APIs or tools. We are doing a lot of automation, so I find the APIs are not very easy to use. So the current automation is not that good for F5 at the moment. We still need to develop something by ourselves, so it's not that good, in the modern IT offices. I think that's a key thing that I want them to improve in the future.

I have been dealing with F5 for over 10 years.

I think F5 is one of the best Web Application Firewalls in the world. So support is pretty good.

You have to pay for the base license. And if you need, for example, other features, like the Web Application Firewall, you need to pay for a separate license and you need to pay for the support contract. You need to renew your support contract yearly. So if that's cheaper it would be better. Just to maintain the F5 it's very costly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the F5 Silverline Web Application Firewall an eight out of ten. Pricing is the reason why I wouldn't give it a ten. There's really no 10 I think in the market. They always have something that needs to improve or upgrade.

Hybrid Cloud
More F5 Silverline Web Application Firewall reviews from users
...who compared it with Imperva Incapsula
Find out what your peers are saying about F5, Microsoft, Amazon and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.