FICO Blaze Advisor Review

Without restarting the application, rules can be deployed directly on the server

What is our primary use case?

One of our clients is a mobile insurance company and there are many business rules. Let's say a person has filed a claim for his lost mobile. The software identifies the person, whether he has enrolled in coverage for that mobile or not, whether the insurance has expired, etc. We have implemented those rules in Blaze Advisor and it's provided as a service that can be consumed in the application used by the customer service representative.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution reduces turnaround time. If we did not implement the rule engine the requirements would come to the IT development team and then through the development lifecycle, and then to the testing team. After testing it would go to staging and then to production. But with this solution, businesspersons can directly change a rule and deploy it. Blaze Advisor provides an environment where, without restarting the application, the rules can be deployed directly on the server.

It helps reduce overall development costs and the dependency on the IT development team.

What is most valuable?

The rules management application is the best feature because BAs or even, perhaps, a businessperson, can directly create rules, change rules, and deploy them to production directly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more help on the internet and more training over the internet. They only have a few blogs there, so that should be increased.

I have eight years of experience with FICO Blaze Advisor.

Blaze Advisor is very stable. It is one of the best tools, one of the best rules engines in its category.

It is scalable as well. Our clients are enterprise companies.

The solution has Help documents and they are very helpful.

They have provided us with training and I have done the certification. But the Blaze Advisor team also provides good technical support.

I have exposure to and training on the PegaRULES engine and I have training on TIBCO BusinessEvents which is also a rules engine, and I have had a little bit of exposure to IBM ODM as well.

The biggest disadvantage of Blaze Advisor is the initial cost, but if you consider its advantages such as that it is easy to use, developed rule templates, and the most powerful feature, the RM, which is not provided by any other tool in the category. Other tools have a UI where we can edit rules, but their features are not as compatible or as powerful as the one provided by Blaze Advisor.

BE integrates easily with TIBCO back-end services but it is not easy to customize, whereas in Blaze Advisor we can easily customize as well. That type of feature is not available in other tools.

For some rules, the setup is straightforward and we can implement them directly without complexity. But for complex rules, with many conditions, and many nested conditions, we need to create a complex rule template.

We have provided many customized features to our customers for, as an example, copying rules from one environment to another. And the most complex part we have added is the localization or globalization of the rules management application so that customers with multiple, international offices can see things in the local language.

The price could be reduced to increase profit margins and the number of clients.

What other advice do I have?

It will reduce turnaround time for implementing business policies, minimizing the time it takes to do so by enabling them to be directly deployed to production. It also provides deployment without restarting the server. When new rules are created by the business, rules they want to deploy on the production server, it can be done without downtime for that server. Also, a single template can accommodate multiple rules. Based on those features, I recommend Blaze Advisor to customers.

The solution itself is only used by the development team and the rules management engine is used by the business teams.

More FICO Blaze Advisor reviews from users
...who compared it with PegaRULES
Find out what your peers are saying about FICO Blaze Advisor vs. PegaRULES and other solutions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.