FileMaker Review

User-friendly and a great learning tool

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very user-friendly, even for somebody who has never used it or has never done programming before. I feel very comfortable working with this solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution cannot be hosted in the cloud. It can be used in a virtual machine but you cannot implement it in the cloud, the way you can with other databases. It does not have the proper modules or licensing for a cloud-based solution. A cloud-based version is something that I would like to see in the next release of this solution.

This solution needs improvement because it is designed only for small companies. For example, you cannot use it like Salesforce or other CRMs, or SAP.

FileMaker is hard to program and there is no advantage in creating modules for it. We use Excel and other programs to handle tasks that are too complicated for this solution.

It is difficult to migrate data from this solution to a larger CRM that, for example, is hosted in the cloud.

It would be useful if the product has a little more openness, where it was possible to allow third-party integrations.

I would like to see more training material available for this solution, especially for the advanced features. It is easy to find information on the basic features. Advanced developers may be able to go further, but for beginners like myself, it is difficult to find the right process or the right solutions.

I have been using this solution for one year.

In the past year, I have not lost any data. For the moment, I would say this solution is stable.

We have approximately thirty users. Beyond this, it would be tough for me to judge.

I have not used technical support for this solution.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy.

We had a problem because I tried to install it through GPO on our server, and FileMaker halted the process. We spent a lot of time trying to figure this out before we realized the problem. In the end, we did it one device at a time. In a bigger company, I think it would be much more difficult.

I performed the implementation in my company.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I have recommended to others. It is very good for learning the basics of databases and for learning programming. We are awaiting the new version of FileMaker to see what we can implement and develop.