FireEye Network Security Review
I was desperately looking to automate whatever layers of security we had in place. Our existing infrastructure left my team blind to a constant stream of attacks.

The old approach to security—assigning lots of people to the problem—was no longer feasible. It was very time intensive and employee intensive. It took up so much of our time that it became very unproductive. I was desperately looking to automate whatever layers of security we had in place. The issue came to a head when I spotted suspicious network activity but could not get to the bottom of the problem with legacy signature-based security tools. My staff spent hours manually blocking suspicious connections. We were a sitting duck. Our existing infrastructure left my team blind to a constant stream of attacks. We tested several IPS/IDS type of solutions, including Symantec, Palo Alto Networks, and Cisco—and found them all inadequate for the security challenge we faced.

I decided to try the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform. We piloted a proof-of-concept trial. Installation took less than an hour, and almost immediately, the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform began providing valuable insight into what was going on in the network —no heavy administration required. We had planned to test the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform for 15 days; I knew within the first 24 hours that the solution delivered on its promise. I realized that I can’t get any better bang for the buck.

Used in-line, the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform provides the insight we need to stay ahead of advanced threats. The platform monitors Web traffic, by far the most common threat vector used in malware attacks. We are alerted to zero-day exploits and fast-morphing malware to keep sensitive data and systems safe. At the same time, the Network Threat Prevention Platform is capable of shutting down communications with malicious URLs used in targeted attacks. Thanks to the FireEye Multi-Vector Virtual Execution architecture, our security team can spot malware hidden in malicious images, PDFs, Flash, and ZIP/RAR/TNEF archives. Easy-to-digest email alerts validate true threats and help guide our incident response. And a browser-based dashboard cuts through the clutter with clear, actionable information about malware activity.

By every measure, the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform has exceeded our expectations. The platform requires little ongoing administration and does not waste the security team’s time with false positives. Instead of chasing down every ambiguous alert, I can spend more time on long-term preparedness and nurturing the security staff. For us, that means better service at a lower cost. FireEye is one of my few “go-to” products when I start my day. The business benefits are far reaching.

Disclosure: IT Central Station has made contact with the reviewer to validate that the person is a real user. The information in the posting is based upon a vendor-supplied case study, but the reviewer has confirmed the content's accuracy.